On Monday night I attended the above class. The class was taught by Vickie Weeks from myspine physiotherapy in Maroubra, http://www.myspinephysio.com . Vickie is an Orthopaedic Manipulative Therapist with 30 years of experience and has done a lot to promote healthy ageing in the community.
Like my car goes to service and tune up regularly – I visit Vickie a few times a year to release those tight spots in my body.
Vickie encourages her patients to look after their health and to achieve this she gives some homework for all of us. Her mantra is: KEEP WALKING!
During the 2 hour spine class we covered the following topics:
- Anatomy of the spine (with feel and touch model);
- Common causes of spinal problems (generally more than one cause and they develop over time);
- Common disorders of the Spine;
- Examination and Treatment – AND THE MOST IMPORTANT:
- Prevention (posture, back, support, nutrition, stress management and rest).
Vickie explained workings of the spine in a clear and conscise manner.
We viewed X-rays and CT scans showing a healthy spine and later compared it to an ageing spine.
Vickie’s workshop reinforced my belief that prevention is better then cure and regular exercise goes a long way to combat the effects of ageing.
I recommend the spine care class for anybody with back problems and health professionals whose expertise is outside the “spine”.
Take care and keep walking!